Please refer to TemplateMonster Support for any issues surrounding TemplateMonster/TemplateTuning Themes – thanks, Jigoshop Team

Hide admin-bar and wp-admin from customers

Raphael Suzuki

21 Dec, 2012 02:25 PM

Create options for hiding the admin-bar from customers and prevent them access to wp-admin.

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by chriscct7 on 21 Dec, 2012 02:32 PM

Admin bar- No. There are already plenty of free plugins that do this. We also have a free plugin coming at the end of Jan that can do this as well.

Prevent access to Admin- No again. Again, there are plugins that do this already, and the only thing they can see in WP-Admin is their user account information, from which they can change their password, or shipping details or whatever.

2. 3 Posted by Raphael Suzuki on 21 Dec, 2012 03:22 PM

Well, I understand that these features could be easily added. In my case, just 2 lines of code disabled them both.

But thinking about non english speaking users, it’s not that easy for them to browse WP plugins repository, searching for features that they don’t even know the name.

Giving the fact that Jigoshop is almost a complete package, just two essential features will help a lot of users, and create a much better customer experiencie.

There’s nothing in the admin-bar that customer could use. Jigoshop’s own login widget is enough. Also, they can edit their info in my-account page, without leaving the frontend. There’s no reason to use wp-admin.

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by Jeff on 21 Dec, 2012 03:56 PM

Just to add to this Raphael, and while I appreciate your position … I also can’t recall anyone else ever pointing this request out.

And with that in mind … we are extremely reluctant to add more options to the settings. I’ve added one to the next release to accommodate:

https://github.com/jigoshop/jigoshop/issues/638

That I’m already having second thoughts about. Generally, more options require a committee vote, there are multiple coin tosses involved … and someone invariably says no. :-p

I really don’t see a need for this to be honest.

4. Support Staff 5 Posted by chriscct7 on 21 Dec, 2012 03:59 PM

We’ve had a discussion about it, and the three core developers have all agreed we are not going to be implementing this.

Closing.

5. chriscct7 closed this discussion on 21 Dec, 2012 03:59 PM.

6. Raphael Suzuki re-opened this discussion on 21 Dec, 2012 06:53 PM

7. 6 Posted by Raphael Suzuki on 21 Dec, 2012 06:53 PM

Thanks for your response, Jeff. I appreciate your attention.

I understand your position as developer, every step should be taken carefully, and at least please the majority of the user base.

Just to reinforce my point, plugins which demand more interaction between users and the website, actually hide or change these core aspects. One example is BuddyPress.

Anyway, I’m just giving my share of ideas, always to contribute and create a better software.

(I’ve found your ‘return to shop’ feature much needed in the cart and added it to my website: http://www.dollsboutique.com.br/)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help or Preview

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don’t have an account yet, we need to confirm you’re human and not a machine trying to post spam.