Please refer to TemplateMonster Support for any issues surrounding TemplateMonster/TemplateTuning Themes – thanks, Jigoshop Team

remote image hosting

veganline

30 Mar, 2013 08:15 PM

To increase margin, it’s good to host product images on fast free servers like flickr or google+ or wherever, particularly if there are different sizes of photos and maybe a 360 degree spin that can be magnified . So free image hosting becomes interesting to shopkeepers and the people who write websites for them.

Lots of plugins exist, written by hobbyists for wordpress generally. I’ve been expermimenting for a week or so and got one called http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/picasa-express-x2/ to work for me a bit after setbacks.

(1) It’s hard to narrow-down the search for the right plugin. Estate agents publish 360 panorama plugins that look out from a central point while shopkeepers want 360 degree plugins that show pictures taken inwards towards a product on a central point. Meanwhile most of the offerings are for showing things like holiday snaps. So it is hard to search for the right plugin.

(2) Featured Product images are specific to ecommerce programs. The generic wordpress image hosting plugin that I used could not cope with the special situation of jigoshop looking for a big featured photo. As far as I know, the biggest photo still has to be hosted on the same server as jogoshop.

(3) Error messages were not great in a situation that needs them to be great in order to stop cheapskate DIY shopkeepers and their cheapskate battoned-down web hosts from generating loads of support requests between them. I had a test site on a free host called awardsace in the states and euhosting I think in Europe. Remote hosting requests failed on their servers but succeeded on more expensive servers and eventually on the bitnami server on my hard disc. An obscure line in the reatme.txt file of my plugin warned that some servers disable remote hosting of images via their PHP configuration, and another few hours of work confirmed that my cheap practice web hosts had admitted to this on obscure pages of their help pages. So I hope that an image hosting plugin can help DIY cheapskates like me as well as shopping cart web developers and all ranks in-between, but there is a need to reduce help requests by writing error messages like “awardspace to not allow remote hosting – check their faq for details”.

Hope this helps; ask me if you want any detail looked-up
John

1. 2 Posted by tom on 29 Apr, 2013 09:30 AM

There are so many reasons you do not want free image hosting and you want the images in the same place as the Jigoshop install, but everyone has their own way of doing things I guess.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don’t have an account yet, we need to confirm you’re human and not a machine trying to post spam.