Please refer to TemplateMonster Support for any issues surrounding TemplateMonster/TemplateTuning Themes – thanks, Jigoshop Team

Product Options

dialhelp

06 Jun, 2011 01:55 PM

I would like to see the ability to add Options (or versions) to a product. This way, on the product page a customer can choose for example which version of the iPhone he wants, the black or the white one. A version of a product can have a different price/stock from another version of the same product.

The eShop plugin for Wordpress does this quite well, if you would like to see an implementation of this.

1. 2 Posted by toadyd on 06 Jun, 2011 02:10 PM

https://demo.jigoshop.com/shop/sony-playstation-3-slim/ Like that?

Should be already achievable, you'd add a 'grouped' product for the iPhone, then add different models as children of the main product. It'll then appear like the demo above.

2. 3 Posted by MarkF on 06 Jun, 2011 02:14 PM

nice! :)

3. 4 Posted by dialhelp on 06 Jun, 2011 03:32 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Although it would be more convenient and efficient if you could add children on the same page as the parent.

4. 5 Posted by karen on 16 Jun, 2011 03:05 AM

I love this plugin, or at least, what it could become. The biggest hangup for me is the product options functionality. Imagine this: you have a store with 75 products and each one comes in anywhere from 4 - 12 different colors, flavors, and sometimes different sizes and weights. I would say the average product has at least six unique options. So that would be 75 grouped products plus another 450 simple products, and even those would be unwieldy things like "large - blue" "medium-blue" "small-blue" and then repeat for other colors.

Since the options are never uniform, what would be nice would be to have defined option groups (size, color, flavor) and then be able to input those options on the product page.

If you've ever looked at the Ecwid catalog interface, they have a pretty nice option input interface. Each option group has its own tab, you click on one tab, and then put in the individual options. They are missing some important things, though, like weight and SKU.

Say you were adding a food product. You'd go to the Size tab, put in 1lb, 3lb, 5lb, then go to the Flavor tab and put cherry, vanilla, and snickerdoodle. It would then create two required dropdowns in the main product page. Option groups would inherit the parent product's settings (name, brand, taxable, manage inventory, shipping methods, etc) and that would be like a huge shortcut - you'd be able to create a lot of unique SKUs in one place.

5. Support Staff 6 Posted by Jigoshop on 16 Jun, 2011 08:57 AM

^ configurable products are coming soon.

Our prototype interface lets you add multiple configurable attributes (custom to the products) and the 'links' them all letting you put in SKU's and prices.

6. 7 Posted by karen on 16 Jun, 2011 03:01 PM

Do you need someone to test the prototype? I was up 'till three AM and I only got as far as being able to create product option groups (just the groups, not the actual options). It seemed like a good idea at the time ... there's really nothing out there that does exactly what I want (there never is), but with the ability to have multiple options this would be about the perfect thing.

7. 8 Posted by Mesonto on 17 Jun, 2011 10:23 PM

Have been playing with your plug-in for the last 10 hours and I was ready to go with it, then I tried multi product options. i.e. Size and Colour Because this plugin cannot perform this simple user dropdown menu choice I cannot use this plug in. Just imagine a t-shirt company that sells in multiple colours in mulitple sizes... we just cannot list all the variations. Do you have an ETA of your next release with options? If so tell me next week because then I am sold.

8. Support Staff 9 Posted by Jigoshop on 17 Jun, 2011 10:30 PM

'simple user dropdown menu choice' :) its not simple. Configurable products is pretty advanced stuff, but as we have said - its coming as a paid addon.

9. 10 Posted by Mesonto on 18 Jun, 2011 08:44 PM

Sorry, Mike, I didn't mean to imply simple as in a progamming sense but I did as in a usability sense. I think your software is fantastic compared to the many alternatives (and I have tried and used over 10 now), your interface is clean and well organized and the workflow is wonderful. This project doesn't just show promise in its infancy but it seems almost mature as of its launch. I must say congratulations to all of you who worked on this, I think it is utterly fantastic! (unfortunately because of this options issue, which I hope will part of the basic free package for clients and not as you say a 'paid addon' , I will not be able to use it) However I would gladly be a beta tester as well, I know of several clients of mine how could take advantage this software.

10. 11 Posted by MarkF on 18 Jun, 2011 10:04 PM

I agree with Mesonto that this is a great, free product out of the box.
    Where to draw the line between inclusive functionality and paid-for add-ons is a fine line.

On one hand, JigoShop have to make money(!), on the other hand, too many add-ons that could be perceived as including 'basic' functionality might alienate some people.

I would certainly like this functionality; I think it's a necessity and would round off a terrific product. If it were a paid add-on, then the pricing would be need to be considered.

:)

11. 12 Posted by karen on 19 Jun, 2011 02:50 AM

I would happily pay money for this option, considering how much time I spent just getting it to the point you can create option groups.

That being said, a basic product option configuration that doesn't involve creating multiple products and making them a child of a main product would be a good default feature set. Whenever you go beyond that, it gets complicated, but at this point in standard e-commerce it's kind of a given that you can create a product and add a selectbox of basic options.

12. 13 Posted by james on 22 Jun, 2011 09:33 PM

Agree with Mesonto, MarkF and dotlizard. Besides from a few anomalies, the only missing functionality that I think should be built in is the options pull-down. But it is a biggie. I cannot imagine doing multiple product groupings for a clothing store - that would be insane!

But I do have to tell you that I think Jigoshop is tremendous right out of the gate!!!

13. ivica closed this discussion on 12 May, 2012 12:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.