Please refer to TemplateMonster Support for any issues surrounding TemplateMonster/TemplateTuning Themes – thanks, Jigoshop Team

Google Analytics E-commerce

Jared Weiss

08 Jun, 2012 03:57 AM

My google analytics is not tracking my e-commerce conversions. I spoke with someone at google analytics, and our analytics account is set up properly to track e-commerce.

In jigoshop, I have e-commerce tracking enable as well, but yet no results are gathered by google analytics.
Anyone know what the work around is?
Do I need to place the code that google has in its example on the checkout/pay page? If I do need to do that, how do I adjust the code to include Jigoshop's data from the checkout process?

here is the example code they give you - please let me know what I should do.
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/g...

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by ivica on 08 Jun, 2012 07:09 AM

Hi! Did you check out this link:
    http://forum.jigoshop.com/discussions/questions/1650-google-analytics-ecommerce-tracking?
    And others on this Forum?

2. 3 Posted by Jared Weiss on 08 Jun, 2012 03:28 PM

Thanks Ivica for the response! Yes I did check those posts out, but with no resolve. It seems people are having the same issue as me. I have enabled the options in jigoshop and in GA, but still no data has been recorded (it has been enabled for like 2 weeks now). The below posts are having the same issue it sounds like:
    http://forum.jigoshop.com/discussions/problems/2531-google-analytic...
    http://forum.jigoshop.com/discussions/questions/1632-adding-google-...

I was just going to switch to a manual input of the code.
    I also noticed that the thank you page never shows up throughout my sale process because we use PayPal as a payment getaway. The checkout -> pay page does show before transferred to paypal. I am wondering if jigoshop places that code in the "thank you" page and thats why its not tracking, but if I were to place it in the pay page, we should get some results?

If I do it manually, I just need some help with adding the 'addtrans" and 'additems' so that it matches to jigoshop's order database.
    Thanks in advance

3. 4 Posted by Matt on 08 Jun, 2012 03:36 PM

Hm I believe we have it set so that the analytics code is only displayed on the thank you page. Obviously if your customers aren't hitting that page, then you won't receive any data.

We can't display it on the checkout page since the sale hasn't been finalized at that point yet...Perhaps something on a successful "Place Order" button?

I'll log it to look into.

4. 5 Posted by Jared Weiss on 08 Jun, 2012 03:58 PM

Matt - Thanks for getting back to me. So I am looking into why customers are not re-directed back to the Thank You page after successful payment with PayPal. I did not set up that up, so I have emailed the person that did. But logically, I feel like there should be a setting to redirect customers after a payment --> therefore, we would be able to solve the problem of the ecommerce tracking code and also someone else's problem saying that it only tracks orders, not successful payments.

Thanks for the help - if I find that this was the solution, I will write it up here

5. 6 Posted by Matt on 08 Jun, 2012 04:03 PM

Customers should automatically be redirected to the thank you page after finishing payment on PayPal. I believe PayPal presents them with an option to 'return to site', if they click it then they'll see the thank you. It's either that or it waits 10 seconds and then redirects. Can't quite recall...

6. 7 Posted by Jared Weiss on 08 Jun, 2012 04:18 PM

I just ran an order through. The customer finishes after successful payment and is not redirected. There is a "return to ..." but the user would have to click on that. I am assuming most people just closed out of that screen. I did have like 3 orders tracked a few weeks ago, so those customers must have clicked on that button, but obviously most have not.

I will now focus my attention on trying to find the setting to auto-redirect, instead of asking them.

7. 8 Posted by Jared Weiss on 08 Jun, 2012 11:02 PM

I just talked to paypal. Since jigoshop is a 3rd party shopping cart, they said that JigoShop has to set it to redirect automatically to the website.

Currently it says succesful payment, then it says "return to" the webiste. Once you click the link, then the page redirects.
    It should automatically redirect after payment.
    Paypal says it is the API that needs to be adjusted to reflect this change.
    Can you guys give me any insight on this? - The paypal site does have a spot for autoredirect but that is only for people who use their shopping cart. As a precaution, I have enabled that function on my account, but still no avail.

Let me know

8. 9 Posted by Jared Weiss on 08 Jun, 2012 11:13 PM

Just as another side note -
    I just checked the source code for the thank you page (after putting through an order w/ payment) and I only see the page tracking code. I do not see anything that resembles the ecommerce code which could be the exact reason its not tracking. Below is the direct link to said page.

http://www.weddingprepgals.com/checkout/thanks/?order=1278&key=...

Can anyone just help me formulate proper code to manually enter in?

9. 10 Posted by Matt on 09 Jun, 2012 06:46 PM

No need to do anything manual, it's working fine ( after just checking). I don't believe it will log admin orders, so try viewing your above link as a guest.

I'll look at our paypal code to see what we can do about auto redirects.

10. 11 Posted by Jared Weiss on 18 Jun, 2012 07:47 AM

Hey matt - Sorry for not responding sooner, I was in mexico. I got back to a great surprise and see that you changed the code! Thanks so much man. I don't know how you did it behind there, but I appreciate it very much.

I do have to ask one more favor, did you change the redirect time? It says 10 seconds, but I just processed an order and it seemed like it was less than that. If you did, great, can we make it shorter so more customers are forced to the thank you page as e-commerce tracking occurred for most of the customers last week, but a few must have exited prior to the redirect.

Thanks so much for yours and Ivica's help on this

11. 12 Posted by Matt on 18 Jun, 2012 12:33 PM

I actually haven't changed any code on your site...So I'm not sure what happened :P

12. 13 Posted by DevK on 27 Jun, 2012 02:05 PM

I have the same problem, and have not found a thread in the forum that has an answer (unless returning from Mexico will fix my site!).

I have google e-commerce enabled in google analytics, I have added the proper tracking code and enabled e-commerce tracking in Jigoshop. I've tested some pages as a customer (not logged in admin). I can see that on the cart page, the following code is added into the page: (I've xx-ed out the account number)

var _gaq=[['_setAccount','UA-xxxxxxxx-x'],['_setCustomVar',1,'logged-in','no',1],['_setCustomVar',2,'user-id','',1],['_setCustomVar',3, 'username','Guest',1],['_trackPageview']];
        (function(d,t){var g=d.createElement(t),s=d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0];
        g.src=('https:'==location.protocol?'//ssl':'//www')+'.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
        s.parentNode.insertBefore(g,s)}(document,'script'));

The proper javascript is in the head of the page to send this info to Google, but although there are transactions there are none showing in Google Analytics. I can see page tracking no problem, but in the e-commerce tracking there is nothing.

I also have a question - does Jigoshop send google info on every step of the e-commerce process? Because if it only tracks sales, that info is not of much use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott.

13. 14 Posted by Matt on 27 Jun, 2012 02:12 PM

As stated earlier, the eCommerce tracking is inserted on the thank you page.

14. 15 Posted by DevK on 27 Jun, 2012 02:23 PM

So, it only tracks completed sales? I thought the value of tracking this stuff with Google was to see all the info, like how many people put stuff in carts but decided not to checkout, or to see at what stage in the process customers decided to leave and not buy.

Certainly the goal/funnel reports work this way to provide useful info on form completion and stuff like that.

If the code is only inserted in the thank you page, then what is the code for that I've posted here, which was in the shopping cart before the purchase was made?

15. 16 Posted by Matt on 27 Jun, 2012 02:44 PM

The code you pasted is Google Analytics, tracking visitors (not eCommerce specific).

16. 17 Posted by DevK on 27 Jun, 2012 02:49 PM

Just to confirm - the code I posted above was added by Jigoshop. It's certainly not the page tracking code that I've put in the header of my site.

Should that code be showing up somewhere other than page tracking in Google analytics?

17. 18 Posted by Matt on 27 Jun, 2012 03:12 PM

I understand it was added by Jigoshop. In Jigoshop you have the option of enabling GA or enabling GA + eCommerce. The code you pasted above is added to the footer of every page on your site by Jigoshop. Whereas the eCommerce code is only on the thank you page.

18. 19 Posted by DevK on 27 Jun, 2012 03:18 PM

Gotcha.

So then Jigoshop will only track complete purchases and not track exits, right?

19. 20 Posted by Matt on 27 Jun, 2012 03:27 PM

Does Google even allow tracking or displaying purchase cancellations?

20. 21 Posted by DevK on 27 Jun, 2012 03:39 PM

From what I understand you can send virtual URL info to Google at any step of any process (filling out a form, buying something, etc. etc.) Then you can set up funnel reports that track if someone made it to the success page, and what other URLS they passed through to get there, and what percent of people made it only part of the way through, but did not reach the success URL. These don't have to be actual separate pages, it's virtual URLS that can be used in dynamic forms or shopping cart pages. I assumed this is what Jigoshop was adding to the dynamic pages.

These reports (once you set them up) can give you useful info like where in the process people exited the funnel. If 80% of customers who add something to your cart don't purchase, you know you have a problem. That's useful info.

If Jigoshop only tracks successful purchases, it's not great info. You can see how many people buy in the WP admin, and of course if you are running a shop, you are filling orders and know what kind of business you are doing - no need for google analytics there.

21. 22 Posted by Matt on 27 Jun, 2012 03:45 PM

I understand the benefits of tracking purchases other than successes, no worries.

Goals and funnels, thanks for that keyword tip. Found some resources that look like would be useful for you as these are setup in your Google Analytics account, not in Jigoshop.

http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=...

22. 23 Posted by DevK on 27 Jun, 2012 04:16 PM

Yes the reports are set up in Google analytics, but if Jigoshop isn't sending google info on all the dynamic pages used in a purchase, there is less info to use in these reports. For example, I can't set up a report that tracks how many users started on the checkout page and made it to the success page, unless Jigoshop is sending a virtual URL from the success page, and nothing I have read here says that it does.

So Jigoshop is not set up for Goal tracking out of the box. Goal tracking uses virtual URLS not events or the ecommerce code, so I will have to custom code that into the success page.

The most useful tracking would be how many people put stuff in the shopping cart but backed out of purchasing.

I will probably custom code all this stuff into the Jigoshop templates, but first wanted to0 know what info Jigoshop already sends to google, and from what pages.

23. 24 Posted by Matt on 27 Jun, 2012 04:30 PM

As stated earlier, Jigoshop inserts GA code on every page in the footer. This includes the cart, checkout page, thank you page, etc.

Which means, you can setup tracking that go to checkout page but don't go to the thank you page. I'm not sure where the confusion lies. Checking the admin panel for GA out right now and it seems pretty straightforward.

Cheers

24. 25 Posted by DevK on 27 Jun, 2012 05:15 PM

No confusion - just trying to get more information on what Jigoshop does out of the box. You can track from checkout page to purchase with a funnel report, if your success page is a different URL or sends virtual URL code to Google, and then only if customers go back to the site instead of leaving after PayPal. That's not ideal.

The GA code Jigoshop inserts into the footer is not the virtual URL code needed for funnel reports. Funnel reports can't track the e-commerce code, or event code - (event though Events appear in the choices of a funnel report, google explains in their help files that you can't use them - go figure?) So I don't think the success page can be used in a funnel report, it could only be seen by the e-commerce tracking, which is separate, and less useful than a funnel report in my opinion.

If Jigoshop was set up to send a virtual URL when someone clicked "Place Order", then you could track that in a funnel report. The URL of that page is still "/checkout", so you need to send a virtual URL anytime some ajax/dynamic update is made on such a page. Virtual URLs could be pushed to Google at various stages in the buying process for use in funnel reports.

I will probably add that into the Jigoshop templates, but had previously assumed that Jigoshop did all this automatically when you added the GA code into the admin settings.

In any case, the code that Jigoshop does put in every page is not showing up in my GA e-commerce reports, which I assume is because nobody is going back to that success page. This is why I would rather use funnel reports and push virtual URLS's instead of using the GA e-commerce tracking. I think it allows for more accurate reporting and identifying where people back out.

If I get this set up properly, I will post back here in case other users find that useful.
    Thanks for the info! I know it's hard to respond to all these posts when I'm still fumbling through an understanding of what Jigoshop does.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.