Please refer to TemplateMonster Support for any issues surrounding TemplateMonster/TemplateTuning Themes – thanks, Jigoshop Team

Building 1000s of categories, database crashing

Vince

28 Mar, 2012 08:56 PM

Not sure why, but when adding multiple product categories or even one by one, the database will eventually crash.
I then have to wait for it to restart but eventually it does.
I tried doing the same tasks with wp e-commerce and it doesn't crash the database.
Is this a bug after reaching so many categories? Is there anything I can do to prevent the crashing? I've disabled most of the plugins on the site yet I'm still getting this error. I'm at 1047 thus far and am probably going to be in the 4000 range or more. Any help is appreciated!

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by ivica on 28 Mar, 2012 09:05 PM

Man, you are performing Jigoshop "crash test"...

2. 3 Posted by Vince on 28 Mar, 2012 09:26 PM

Haha yes, I suppose I am, and crashing it is doing.
    Are tags a better way to approach my design?
    Basically my client is selling automotive performance parts. These are the category "layers" I'm working with.
    EX. 88-91 Civic Parts(parent)-->Exhaust Systems, Intake Systems, Mufflers, etc..(children)
    For other cars like 92-95 Civic Parts, the children have the same names, but their slugs are unique i.e (92-95-civic-exhaust-systems vs 88-91-civic-exhaust-systems).
    I'm just tired of the database crashing after inputting only a few categories.

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by chriscct7 on 28 Mar, 2012 10:31 PM

Ok well a WordPress database, much less the plugin is not even designed to
    hold that many categories. The reason it works on wp-ecommerce is because
    when the plugin installs it creates thousands of database rows to store
    categories. Which over time, probably near 6 months, your site will come to
    an abrupt crashing halt. You really should be on Magento or a paid
    Ecommerce solution if you are that seriously into e-commerce.

4. Support Staff 5 Posted by chriscct7 on 28 Mar, 2012 10:47 PM

As for tags, you will run into the same issue. This plugin is really not
    designed for that number. Nor really is WP-Ecommerce, what they do is make
    the rows in advance, and once they fill with data (products, orders,
    categories) your whole site will fail (forget just trying to add a category
    in the plugin backend).

5. 6 Posted by Vince on 29 Mar, 2012 02:42 AM

I'm been reading a lot of conflicting answers on how many categories a wordpress installation can handle, but the number seems to be less than 10000 but more than 4000. I'm not putting a description in the category fields, just simply name and slug. I wanted to purchase some of the Jigoshop extensions, but if this cart can't handle the amount of categories, which should hover around 4-5000 then it's back to the drawing board.

6. Support Staff 7 Posted by Matt on 29 Mar, 2012 03:54 PM

Any error message you have that can help us?

7. 8 Posted by Vince on 29 Mar, 2012 06:58 PM

Sure, I've also tried inputting categories in bulk with Marketpress and it works okay as well, I just prefer the features in Jigoshop so hopefully we can get it to work.
    The error I'm getting is Fatal error: Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in /hermes/waloraweb058/b1858/moo.mysite.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php on line 262. It only occurs if I'm putting in categories in bulk(40 at a time) through the add new product screen (separating categories by commas).
    When I input them one by one at the product categories screen, I get a generic code "error has occured" and the database crashes, which occurs after inputting 20 or 30 categories.

8. Support Staff 9 Posted by Matt on 29 Mar, 2012 07:27 PM

Could you enable wp-debug logging and post your log file here?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Configure_Error_Log

9. Support Staff 10 Posted by Matt on 29 Mar, 2012 07:28 PM

Make sure you enable it first, then reproduce both errors.

Thanks!

10. 11 Posted by Vince on 29 Mar, 2012 10:06 PM

Here's the error log. When inputting 40 at a time, it failed at 24 but didn't generate any errors. Then I tried putting in the next 16 and it gave me these errors

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=zFknU2N3

11. 12 Posted by Vince on 29 Mar, 2012 10:09 PM

..and the database did crash as well.

12. Support Staff 13 Posted by Matt on 29 Mar, 2012 10:29 PM

Can the issue be with your host?

Could you contact your host and find out how many queries you can do over a set period of time? Appears they've limited you.

Otherwise, try running UPDATE user SET max_questions = '0'; on your db.

13. 14 Posted by Vince on 29 Mar, 2012 10:45 PM

Looks like they have a 75000/hr limit on queries. Does Jigoshop run many queries when performing tasks like creating a category?

14. Support Staff 15 Posted by Matt on 29 Mar, 2012 10:49 PM

Where are you adding them? Through a product or the category page?

Have you tried, if experienced enough, directly through the database via csv import?

15. 16 Posted by Vince on 29 Mar, 2012 10:52 PM

Through the product page itself, since that's the only place I can batch upload categories.
    I don't feel I'm experienced enough to import them directly to the database, but I have created a secondary database to experiment with if you have a link to some instructions. Thanks for all the help btw!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.